According to Habermas ' theory, participants of the public sphere need rational debate, and the topic of the debate should be concerned about the common interests. In this way, many forum or social network can not be seen as public sphere. However, a protest called Occupy Wall Stree,which is spreading in many countries, including in the UK, can to a greaty extent be seen as a public sphere. Looking at their website, especially their forum, I find people have different opinions and debate. They are talking sth about the president, the economy and the development..
Besides, I found that they held meeting or assembly to discuss some issues when they are occupying the churchyard of St Paul's . That is another kind of public sphere in my opinion.
However, both in the website and the assembly , I can't see a consensus.
Here is their forum:
http://occupywallst.org/forum/
Here are the pictures I took on Sunday.

No comments:
Post a Comment